Delicious Italian focaccia with 100% durum wheat flour. More dense, a little bit lower, but full of flavor. This focaccia is different from the usual soft version but stil very flavourful. The durum wheat flour gives it a peculiar and original texture.
Italian focaccia with durum wheat flour
- 500 g durum wheat flour
- 280 ml or more warm water
- 60 ml olive oil + more for garnish
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt + coarse salt for garnish
- 4 g active dry yeast
- fresh rosemary for garnish
Instructions: Italian focaccia with durum wheat flour
- In a bowl mix the flour with the sugar and dry yeast. Add the warm water and begin to mix.
- When the mixture begins to take form, continue to knead and add salt and olive oil.
- Knead for 10 minutes (if the dough seems too hard, add another bit of water). When the dough becomes smooth and elastic form a ball, place it in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until the dough doubles the volume.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Grease your hands with some olive oil. Deflate the dough and roll it out using your palms on a baking tray dusted with durum wheat flour. Cover with a cotton cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- After this time, prick the dough with your fingertips, grease your hands again and spread more oil on the surface of the cake. Sprinkle with coarse salt, add some fresh rosemary and let rise again for another 30 – 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 210 °C for 15 – 20 minutes or until the focaccia gets golden.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for an easy classic and soft Italian focaccia try my Classic Italian focaccia bread. (foto below)