The simplest, soft and tasty tomato and garlic focaccia. Easy Italian focaccia recipe perfect for lunch with some amazing and fresh salad.
Tomato and garlic focaccia
- 500 g bread flour
- 7 g active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 300 ml warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 ml olive oil
- some garlic cloves
- some small tomatoes
- olive oil to brush the focaccia
- semolina flour to dust the pan optional
Instructions tomato and garlic focaccia
- In a small bowl stir together yeast, sugar and warm water and set aside for 5 -10 minutes until it creates the foam.
- In a large bowl mix together flour with the salt. Add water with yeast, oil and begin to mix.
- Knead the dough by hand for at least 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Spread a bowl with a little oil, laid the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until it doubles the volume for about 1 hour.The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle it with a some semolina flour. Trasfer the dough and spread it out with your hands, stretching it evenly.Cut the tomatoes in half and peel the garlic. With the tip of the knife or the little spoon take out the seeds from the tomatoes. Press gently the tomatoes and garlic. Cover with a cotton cloth and set aside until the dough becomes puffy again (about 30 minutes).
- Spread the focaccia with some olive oil and bake in a preheated oven at 220° C for 20 – 25 minutes (my focaccia is slightly darker because my family likes the smoky taste of cherry tomatoes) or until it becomes golden. Transfer onto a grid to cool down completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another amazing Italian focaccia you should absolutelly try my No-knead focaccia with fresh herbs and squash blossoms.