Soft and fragrant calzone with cheese
These soft calzone are tasty and fragrant thanks to the addition of basil and tomato paste directly into the dough. The stuffing is made of melted cheese to you liking. Easy and delicious.
Soft and fragrant calzone with basil and tomato paste in the dough and stuffed with cheese.
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp dry basil
- 200 g (or more) mixed cheese of your choice
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp active dry yeast* (see the notes to halve the yeast)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- olive oil mixed with water
- Read instructions below.
- If you have any questions about this recipe contact me in the comments below or on my social channels. If you have tried this recipe and would like to evaluate it, press the stars above or let me know me why you didn’t like it in the comments.
2 hours waiting time.
* To keep your bread, rolls, pizzas, focaccia and other yeast dough recipes soft and fragrant for longer, you need to cut the amount of active dry yeast in half and extend the rising time.
Instructions: Soft and fragrant calzone with cheese
In a large bowl, combine flour with active dry yeast, sugar and salt. Add olive oil and water and start mixing.
Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it becomes elastic. At this point add tomato paste and dry basil and knead until smooth.
Create a ball, place it in a slightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour and half or until it doubles the volume.
The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
After this time deflate the dough, divide it into equal parts (4 large calzone or 6 – 8 small ones). Use your hands or rolling pin to stretch the dough then stuff each piece with grated cheese. Fold the dough in half, pressing the edges together and crimping them to seal and then folding the edge over itself. Place your calzone on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
Cover with the cotton cloth and let rise for another half an hour – 45 minutes. Prepare your calzone by brushing them with water mixed in equal parts with olive oil.
Preheat the static oven to 220 °C. Cook your calzones for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let cool down slightly before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s If you love soft baked goodies check my Buns with black sesame seeds and Thick crust oven baked pizza.