These buns with barley coffee are super soft, delicate and delicious. They have an amazing consistency and have a light aftertaste of barley coffee. They are just perfect both for breakfast and for a afternoon snack.
Soft buns with barley coffee
- 500 g bread flour
- 7 g active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 330 ml milk
- 40 g butter
- 0.25 cup barley malt syrup you can substitute it with dark honey
- 5 tsp instant barley coffee
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp milk optional
Instructions: Soft buns with barley coffee
- In a small saucepan heat the milk with barley malt syrup and butter, stir until the lbutter is completely dissolved. Set aside to make it lukewarm.
- In a bowl, sift the flour. Add the dry yeast and instant barley coffee and stir.
- Add milk mix to the flour and begin to knead. After a couple of minutes, add the salt. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Create a ball, wrapped in a lightly greased bowl and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until the dough doubles in volume.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- After this time, deflate the dough. Knead briefly and divide it into many equal parts. Create balls of dough and lay them on baking tray lined with some parchment paper, cover with a cotton cloth and let rise for another hour.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you love mildly sweet buns you should check my Soft brioche buns with ricotta and mascarpone filling (foto below).