This simple bread with active dry yeast is soft and tasty thanks to the addition of cooked barley that gives it a delicate aftertaste similar to honey. One of my personal favourites.
Bread with cooked barley
- 100 g uncooked barley
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 3.5 g active dry yeast
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 300 ml warm water
Instructions: Bread with cooked barley
- For this recipe I used pearl barley made by Bettini.
- Rinse your pear barley. Pour into a pan filled with slightly salted cold water and bring to a boil. Cook according to the instructions on the box. Once cooked drain and put aside and let it cool completely. This step can also be prepared the previous day.
- Combine flour, salt, active dry yeast, honey, cooked barley and mix.
- Begin to knead the dough gradually adding warm water. Work the dough by hand or in a stand mixer with a dough hook for about 10 minutes. The dough will be sticky but elastic.
- Place it in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until it doubles the volume (me 2 hours).
- Deflate the dough. Knead it briefly and create a loaf of bread. Put it on a sheet of baking paper, cover with a cotton cloth and let it rise again for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- For this recipe I used baking method in a cast iron pot with a lid. If you do not have a pot like that this bread can be baked on a preheated baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 250 °C with the cast iron pot (or baking tray) in the oven. Once the oven reaches the temperature, lower it to 200 °C. Carefully remove the pot (tray) from the oven and place the baking paper with your bread into the pot (tray), close the lid and place it in the oven. Cook 20 minutes with the lid and 20 minutes without it (40 min on baking tray).
Remove from the oven and allow to cool down completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another easy bread recipe that is very interesting to your taste buds you should check my No salt bread with cooked rice.
*This recipe was born thanks to the collaboration with Bettini – a company that produces cereals, legumes and high quality organic products.