This recipe for the wholemeal flour bread with mixed seeds belongs to my father who for years has experimented with traditional recipes of Polish rye bread. He has mixed different flours and seeds and created this moist, rich in flavor and nourishing bread. Slightly sour, thanks to the addition of rye flour, this bread remains fresh for a long time and it is perfect with cheese.
My father’s bread – wholemeal flour bread with mixed seeds
The night before
- 35 g sourdough starter 70% refreshed 2 days before
- 125 g strong bread flour
- 75 g wholemeal rye flour
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp honey
- 175 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 50 g or more pumpkin seeds
- 50 g or more sunflower seeds
- 20 g or more flax seeds
- 1 tbsp or more chia seeds
- 160 ml water
Instructions wholemeal flour bread with mixed seeds
- The evening before, mix the sourdough with rye flour, bread flour and 300 ml of water. Add more water if necessary. The dough should not be too thick. Leave at room temperature (20 °C at my house) for a minimum of 12 hours. The next morning it should slightly increase in volume or some air bubbles should appear.
- Add honey, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, various types of seeds, salt and water. Stir with the spoon for about 5 minutes and leave to rise in the bowl for 2 hours. During these hours you can, but it is not necessary, perform the s&f using the spoon.
- Transfer the dough into the rectangular pan (me 12 x 25 cm), cover with the cotton cloth and let rise until the dough reaches the edge of the pan, almost doubles the volume (my dough takes about 4 – 6 hours).
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
Note from the author of this recipe
- While you are preparing your bread I just want to tell you that I really appreciate that you have decided to prepare my recipe. If you like it, I would be delighted and it could be a huge help for me if you follow me on my official social channel such as instagram where I publish every time a new recipe comes out. To become my follower just search for foodohfood in your instagram or click on this link: https://www.instagram.com/foodohfood/ and press Follow. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara. ^_^
Bread baking times
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 230 °C for 50 min. Make the cut in the center of the bread after first 5 minutes in the oven (before the dough is too hydrated). If the bread is getting dark to quickly cover it, in the last 15 minutes of baking, with aluminum foil.
Remove from the oven and take the bread from the pan as soon as it is possible. Let it cool completely before serving.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you like your bread with amazing and interesting flavour check my Sourdough pumpkin bread with pumpkin seeds (foto below).