This recipe for a bread with zucchini in the dough came to me while I was on holidays in Poland. My father is a vegetable garden enthusiast and he cultivates various types of vegetables including zucchini. This year there are just too many so to be able to eat all of them we invented many zucchini recipes including this recipe for bread. The bread itself is delicate, soft, almost like a brioche but with a crunchy crust, perfect with a layer of butter (vegan or regular) and some strawberry jam.
Bread with zucchini
- 500 g zucchini
- 150 ml vegetable milk of any kind I used oat milk
- 7 g active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 400 g or more all-purpose flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
Instructions bread with zucchini
- Grate the zucchini on a grater with large holes. Put aside for 5 minutes.
- Slightly heat the milk (it should be lukewarm), add sugar and dry yeast, stir and set aside for 5 – 10 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy.
- In a bowl mix two flours. Squeeze the zucchini with your hands to eliminate the excess liquid then add zucchini to the flour. Do not throw away the liquid from the zucchini – we will use it later.
- Mix well to cover all the zucchini with the flour. Add salt and mix again.
- Now add oil, yeast, about 30 ml of liquid from the zucchini and begin to knead. First with a spoon then by hand.
- Knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes until it becomes fairly homogeneous. The dough will be very sticky due to the presence of fresh zucchini. This process can also be done in the food mixer with a dough hook.
- Transfer the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for about 1 hour or until it doubles in volume.
- The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Divide the dough in 2 and put it in 2 lightly greased and floured baking trays. Cover them with a cotton cloth and let it rest for another half hour.
- Bake in a preheated static oven at 220 °C for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, wait 5 minutes and remove the bread from the pan then let it cool down completely before serving.
Store at a room temperature.
lot of love. B.