This soft and delicious bread with nuts is a crossing between bread and brioche. Evaporated milk makes it particularly fragrant and the addition of nuts gives it a crunchy touch and it gently smells like honey.
Soft bread with evaporated milk and nuts
- 1.5 tsp active dry yeast* see the notes to halve the yeast
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 60 ml warm water
- 0.5 cup unsweetened condensed milk (evaporated milk)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 120 g wholemeal flour
- 200 g bread flour
- 1 handful chopped walnuts
Instructions soft bread with evaporated milk and nuts
- In a bowl mix dry yeast, sugar and warm water and set aside let stand until foamy, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl unite evaporated milk, 2 tablespoons of water, oil, honey, salt, wheat flour and stir.
- Add the yeast mixture and bread flour to the liquid batter and helping yourself with a wood spoon stir until it begins to form a ball.
- Knead the dough by hand for minimum 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume (about 1 hour – 1 hour and a half). The rising times are approximate, it can take more or less time depending on the temperature of the environment, the freshness of the yeast, the strength of the flour and other factors not related to the recipe.
- Deflate the dough then add the walnuts and knead briefly.
- Form a loaf. Place in a loaf tin, previously lined with parchment paper, cover with a cotton cloth and let it become puffy for another half an hour – 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C and bake the loaf for 25 – 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and wait 5 minutes before taking out the bread from the tin.
This bread is also delicious the next day.
lot of love. B.
p.s. If you are looking for another recipe with walnuts check my Walnut cake with mascarpone and cinnamon frosting and Spaghetti with sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts and lemon pesto.